Austin, Texas - Micro.blog released version 2.0 of its blogging and social engagement platform. The new version has redesigned the interface to make it easier to edit posts, create new pages, upload files, and customize themes. Micro.blog 2.0 also adds bookmark archiving and highlights to Micro.blog Premium. When a microblog post or web page is bookmarked, Micro.blog downloads a copy of the post to read later. The post's text can be highlighted and the highlights can easily be converted into quoted text when writing a new blog post.
"The community on Micro.blog loves to read and blog about what they've discovered, in both short microblog posts and longer essays," said Manton Reece, founder of Micro.blog. "The new highlights interface in Micro.blog Premium provides an easy way to go from reading and highlighting to publishing your own post."
Micro.blog Premium also includes hosting for podcasts and short videos. When an MP3 file is uploaded, Micro.blog automatically creates a podcast feed with your microblog that can be submitted to podcast directories. Micro.blog Premium is $10/month; the standard Micro.blog account, which includes a hosted blog that can use a custom domain name, is $5/month.
"Since we introduced podcast hosting in 2018, lots of community members have taken advantage of this easy way to publish a podcast," said Jean MacDonald, community manager and host of the Micro Monday podcast. "The podcast and its files are hosted at the user's own domain name, and not locked into a silo, which is a great advantage for those who value flexibility and the indie web."
With Micro.blog 2.0, the native Mac and iOS apps have also received several improvements for more convenience in searching, editing, and managing posts and uploads. Writing on the Mac app has been made easier with the addition of a window for new posts and replies, and a redesigned toolbar.
What's new in Micro.blog 2.0:
* Redesigned interface on the web features a sidebar of options to make it easier to edit posts, create new pages, upload files, and customize themes
* Replies can now be edited
* Native iOS and Mac apps add Pages and Uploads sections for creating and editing standalone pages, uploading podcasts and other files
* Add multiple Micro.blog accounts in the iOS app
* New separate window in the native Mac app for writing new posts and replies
* Drag photos from Uploads into a new post with the Mac app
* Archive a copy of bookmarked pages for later reading (Premium)
* Highlight archived pages for an easy way to add quoted text to a new blog post when writing (Premium)
Micro.blog: $5/month or $50/year:
* Hosted microblog at username.micro.blog; custom domain names supported and encouraged
* Easy posting from the web, iOS, and Mac apps
* Photo upload and storage at your own domain name
* Custom themes and CSS
* SSL for your custom domain
* Cross-posting to Twitter, Medium, Tumblr, LinkedIn, and Mastodon
* WordPress, Tumblr, and Medium import including redirecting previous URLs
Micro.blog Premium: $10/month or $100/year:
* All the features of the standard Micro.blog account
* Podcast hosting
* Short video hosting
* Archiving of bookmarked blog posts and web pages for later reading
* Highlighting of archived pages for easy conversion to quoted text when writing new posts
Micro.blog Teams: $20/month or $200/year:
* All the hosted microblog features
* All the Micro.blog Premium features, including podcast hosting, video hosting, and archiving/highlighting of bookmarked posts
* Invite team members to post to your blog
* Unlimited users
* Micro.blog is an online platform, not tied to a particular operating system
* Web: Any modern web browser (Safari, Firefox, Chrome)
* macOS: 10.14 Mojave or later
* iOS: iOS 13 or later
Third-party apps are available for Android. More info available online.
Micro.blog for iPhone and iPad (App Store)
Download Micro.blog for Mac
manton.org (Manton Reece's blog): What's new in Micro.blog 2.0
Micro.blog is a blog hosting platform with a social media component that allows a community of bloggers to follow others, reply, and engage in conversations in a familiar timeline. Micro.blog was created by Manton Reece, based in Austin, Texas, and launched in January 2017 after a successful Kickstarter campaign. Its mission is to make both short- and long-form blogging easier, while also providing a safe and civil space for bloggers to interact, governed by strong community guidelines and managed by full-time Community Manager Jean MacDonald, based in Portland, Oregon. All Material and Software (C) Copyright 2020 Micro.blog. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPod, iPad and macOS are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. Other trademarks and registered trademarks may be the property of their respective owners.