San Francisco, California - Smile, the developer of productivity applications, launches PDFpen and PDFpenPro 13, a new major version of its all-purpose PDF editing tool for Mac. Version 13 introduces an updated UI, improved highlighting, MRC compression customization, and for Pro users, replacing Table of Contents entries.
A freshly refined UI based on best-in-class editing applications enables convenient access to essential tools directly from the Toolbar. Clean, modern icons streamline and enhance navigation. Font controls and font color selection are now easily accessible from the Editing Bar. Clearly defined Object Properties tools make selecting stroke and fill color for drawn lines & shapes simple and straightforward. The redesigned Highlight tool lets you take control of the color palette. Select and edit custom highlight colors directly from the Toolbar.
New MRC compression settings Preferences enable more flexibility in controlling file sizes of bulky scanned documents during OCR. Choose between compression vs. quality settings so you obtain the preferred file size best matching your specific needs. PDFpenPro 13 users have an added benefit of quickly replacing Table of Contents entries. Save time and make documents more professional and navigable by re-assigning existing entries that have changed.
PDFpen 13 includes numerous additional improvements, including using "Insert Blank Page Again" to bypass the stationery selector, hide the Sidebar with a click of a button, view highlight colors in the Sidebar, and other enhancements. Plus, search, browse, and find answers via our newly designed online User Guide.
"We care deeply about the customer experience and take the user's needs and wants seriously," said Philip Goward, Smile founder. "Version 13 introduces a beautiful, clean, thoughtfully designed UI that is easy-to-use but also embraces functionality and power; plus, additional features and improvements. We hope users will enjoy this exciting, updated experience."
PDFpen and PDFpenPro 13 work with PDFpen for iPad & iPhone, bringing seamless editing across devices with cloud services such as iCloud, Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, etc.
New in PDFpen 13:
* New intuitive UI design
* Updated Toolbar adds essential markup tools
* Editing Bar adds font section and accessible color controls
* Sidebar improvements
* Modernized icons
* Enhanced Highlighting experience
* Easily select and edit custom colors
* MRC compression customization
* Table of Contents improvements (Advanced feature of PDFpenPro)
* Ability to reassign entries
* Revamped online User Guide
Features Specific to PDFpenPro:
* Export to Microsoft(R) Excel (.xlsx), Microsoft(R) PowerPoint (.pptx) and PDF Archive (PDF/A) formats (requires Internet connection for .pptx and PDF/A, must be a licensed user)
* Create cross-platform fillable PDF forms including interactive signature fields and email or web submission buttons
* Create and edit Table of Contents
* Convert websites into PDFs
* OCR multiple documents in batch
* Add and edit document permissions
* Automatic form creation makes existing PDF forms fillable
* Gather submitted form data via backend integration
* Add and delete file attachments and annotations
* Create Portfolio documents, combining related files
* Correct typos in OCR text layer
* OCR horizontal Chinese, Japanese & Korean
* DocuSign(R) support
* Add text, images and signatures to PDFs
* Correct text in original PDF with editable text blocks
* Fill out interactive PDF forms and sign them
* Redact or erase text, including OCR text
* Search and replace, search and redact, and search and highlight text
* Export in Microsoft(R) Word format, TIFF, JPEG, PNG, and flat PDF
* Scan directly from Image Capture and Mac compatible scanners
* Perform OCR (Optical Character Recognition) on scanned documents
* View OCR layer for proofing OCR text from scanned pages, or remove OCR layer
* Edit original images, including adjusting resolution, color depth and contrast, skew, and size of an image or scanned document
* Sign PDF forms via drawing, interactive signature fields, or AATL or self-signed certificates
* Insert and remove pages; reorder pages in a PDF with drag & drop; combine PDFs maintaining Table of Contents entries
* Move, resize, copy and delete images in original PDF
* Save PDFs directly to Evernote
* Preview and extract file attachments and annotations
* Record and playback audio annotations
* Copy and paste rich text; retain fonts and formatting when copying from PDFs, including columns
* Context-sensitive popup-menus enable quick edits
* Add notes and comments, print annotation summary with or without the original text
* Mark up documents with highlighting, underscoring and strikethrough
* Save frequently-used images, signatures, objects and text in the Library; sync Library items with PDFpen for iPad & iPhone via iCloud
* Add page numbers, bookmarks, headers and footers, line numbers and watermarks
* Apply business-related and Sign Here stamps via the Library
* Password protect a document with up to 256-bit AES encryption
* Compress PDF documents for smaller file sizes
* Available in English, Japanese, German, French, Italian, and Spanish
PDFpen and PDFpenPro 13 require macOS 10.14 (Mojave) or later. For macOS 10.13 (High Sierra) or earlier, see our website for compatible PDFpen versions. Demo versions are available on our site. Full versions of PDFpen and PDFpenPro are available for purchase on Apple's Mac App Store. PDFpen is also available via subscription from Setapp.
PDFpen retails for US $79.95, PDFpenPro for $129.95 (USD). Office Pack licenses start at $249.95 for PDFpen (5 users) and $374.95 for PDFpenPro (5 users). Upgrades from earlier single-user versions of either application are $35 (USD), and free for users who purchased on or after January 1, 2021. Upgrades from any previous single-user version of PDFpen to PDFpenPro 13 are US $50. Upgrade pricing for Office Packs is available in our web store.
Reviewers Guide (PDF)
Smile makes clever software for efficient people, including TextExpander, the typing shortcut tool for Mac, Windows, Chrome, iPhone and iPad; PDFpen, the all-purpose Mac PDF editor; and PDFpen for iPad and iPhone, the mobile PDF editor. Copyright (C) 2021 SmileOnMyMac, LLC dba Smile. All Rights Reserved. PDFpen, PDFpenPro, TextExpander, and the Smile logo are registered trademarks of SmileOnMyMac, LLC dba Smile. Apple, the Apple logo, Mac, iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc.