San Francisco, California - Smile, the developer of productivity applications, has released PDFpen and PDFpenPro 13.1, an update to its all-purpose PDF editing tool for Mac. Version 13.1 adds new features to improve the user experience through better performance and security, including: faster document scrolling and drawing, additional default sidebar options, an updated OCR engine with Apple Silicon/ M1 support, and for Pro users, offline PowerPoint and PDF/A Export.
Priorities for this release include faster document scrolling and drawing on larger PDF documents to enhance the reading and annotating experience. Whether you are reviewing essays or working with executive reports, smoother scrolling helps you find and provide feedback to students or colleagues much more quickly.
Additional improvements in this update include default sidebar modes such as Attachments and Form Fields, providing more options to customize PDFpen's views and better accommodate your PDF editing needs. Updates to the OCR engine, OmniPage Capture SDK 21 with Apple Silicon/ M1 support, helps you convert scanned documents to searchable, editable documents with greater accuracy faster.
PDFpenPro 13.1 also delivers some new features in the latest update, including offline export to Microsoft(R) PowerPoint (.pptx) and PDF Archive (PDF/A-1b) formats (must be a licensed user). Offline export to PowerPoint and PDF/A provides an additional layer of security to ensure that confidential company and client information or court filings remain ultra private and secure.
"For our customers, performance and security are critical to their experience," said Philip Goward, Smile founder. "PDFpen13.1 addresses performance, with smoother scrolling and faster drawing for large documents as well as updating the OCR engine. With PDFpenPro, we've listened to security concerns and introduced the ability to export to PowerPoint and PDF/A formats offline, providing additional security and the resulting peace of mind."
PDFpen and PDFpenPro 13.1 work with PDFpen for iPad & iPhone, bringing seamless editing across devices with cloud services such as iCloud, Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, etc.
PDFpen and PDFpenPro 13.1 require macOS 10.14 (Mojave) or later. For macOS 10.13 (High Sierra) or earlier, see our website for compatible PDFpen versions. Demo versions are available on our site. Full versions of PDFpen and PDFpenPro are available for purchase on Apple's Mac App Store. PDFpen is also available via subscription from Setapp.
New in PDFpen 13.1:
* Faster document scrolling and drawing
* Adds additional Sidebar modes to Preferences
* Updates OCR engine to CSDK 21 with Apple Silicon/ M1 support
* Offline PPTX & PDF/A export (PDFpenPro Advanced Feature)
* Other fixes and improvements
Features Specific to PDFpenPro:
* Export to Microsoft(R) Excel (.xlsx), Microsoft(R) PowerPoint (.pptx) and PDF Archive (PDF/A) formats (must be a licensed user)
* Create cross-platform fillable PDF forms including interactive signature fields and email or web submission buttons
* Create and edit Table of Contents
* Convert websites into PDFs
* OCR multiple documents in batch
* Add and edit document permissions
* Automatic form creation makes existing PDF forms fillable
* Gather submitted form data via backend integration
* Add and delete file attachments and annotations
* Create Portfolio documents, combining related files
* Correct typos in OCR text layer
* OCR horizontal Chinese, Japanese & Korean
* DocuSign(R) support
* Add text, images and signatures to PDFs
* Correct text in original PDF with editable text blocks
* Fill out interactive PDF forms and sign them
* Redact or erase text, including OCR text
* Search and replace, search and redact, and search and highlight text
* Export in Microsoft(R) Word format, TIFF, JPEG, PNG, and flat PDF
* Scan directly from Image Capture and Mac compatible scanners
* Perform OCR (Optical Character Recognition) on scanned documents
* View OCR layer for proofing OCR text from scanned pages, or remove OCR layer
* Edit original images, including adjusting resolution, color depth and contrast, skew, and size of an image or scanned document
* Sign PDF forms via drawing, interactive signature fields, or AATL or self-signed certificates
* Insert and remove pages; reorder pages in a PDF with drag & drop; combine PDFs maintaining Table of Contents entries
* Move, resize, copy and delete images in original PDF
* Preview and extract file attachments and annotations
* Record and playback audio annotations
* Copy and paste rich text; retain fonts and formatting when copying from PDFs, including columns
* Context-sensitive popup-menus enable quick edits
* Add notes and comments, print annotation summary with or without the original text
* Mark up documents with highlighting, underscoring and strikethrough
* Save frequently-used images, signatures, objects and text in the Library; sync Library items with PDFpen for iPad & iPhone via iCloud
* Add page numbers, bookmarks, headers and footers, line numbers and watermarks
* Apply business-related and Sign Here stamps via the Library
* Password protect a document with up to 256-bit AES encryption
* Compress PDF documents for smaller file sizes
* Available in English, Japanese, German, French, Italian, and Spanish
* macOS 10.14 (Mojave) or later
Pricing and Availability:
PDFpen retails for $79.95, PDFpenPro for $129.95 (USD). Office Pack licenses start at $249.95 for PDFpen (5 users) and $374.95 for PDFpenPro (5 users). Upgrades from earlier single-user versions of either application are $35, and free for users who purchased on or after January 1, 2021. Upgrades from any previous single-user version of PDFpen to PDFpenPro 13.1 are $50 (USD). Site licenses for PDFpenPro are $1699.95 (USD). A single contact for support; single physical address or company with fewer than 1,000 employees. Upgrade pricing for Office Packs is available in our web store.
PDFpen and PDFpenPro 13.1
Purchase PDFpen and PDFpenPro
Smile makes clever software for efficient people, including TextExpander, the typing shortcut tool for Mac, Windows, Chrome, iPhone and iPad; PDFpen, the all-purpose Mac PDF editor; and PDFpen for iPad and iPhone, the mobile PDF editor. Copyright (C) 2021 SmileOnMyMac, LLC dba Smile. All Rights Reserved. PDFpen, PDFpenPro, TextExpander, and the Smile logo are registered trademarks of SmileOnMyMac, LLC dba Smile. Apple, the Apple logo, Mac, iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc.